A little history The first records of the Place Dauphine date back to 1462, when it was made up of two independent islands. In 1607, King Henri IV decided to join them together and create a triangular square on the tip of the Ile de la Cité. Thirty-two identical houses were built, each with a small shop on the ground floor. King Henri IV decided to name the area after his dauphin Louis XIII, born in 1601. The final name, "Place Dauphine", was adopted a few years later.